Monday, August 11, 2014

FINISHED: Another New Look 6125

It occurred to me this morning that I should go spend some time in my sewing room, hopefully to encourage some motivation to arise. I cut out the pattern for my Simplicity 1371 pant and then realized I had this unfinished beauty hanging in my closet. This fabric was leftover from a pair of Tania culottes that for some reason I've never blogged. It's a lightweight cotton lawn from Denver Fabrics. I keep a book with all of my projects as well as the date each one is started: I began this dress on May 17, and finished it today, August 11.


I used French seams throughout - I really like this type of seam finish. I find it oddly relaxing to sew a French seam: switching the presser feet, trimming, pressing, and then coming away with an enclosed seam allowance. I skipped the lining because duh - 95 degrees outside.


I turned 1/2" then 1" for the hem, which gives me a 35" or so full length which I prefer on most dresses. I used Gutermann Mara in black which I like for lightweight lawns.


This morning I finished the armholes and neckline with bias binding - I had fused the neckline with fusible tricot to keep it more stable and I used commercial binding for the neckline. I used black cotton for the armholes.


This is now the 11th time I've made this pattern. I wore a yellow jacquard version yesterday to church and beyond and was reminded how much I like the style of this dress. It is so warm and humid here and the fact that this doesn't cling to the body makes it gold.

Pattern: New Look 6125
Size: 16
Fabric: Geometric cotton lawn from Denver Fabrics
Needle: Organ 80/12
Thread: Gutermann Mara 100 in black
Changes: Bias binding for neckline and armholes; 1 1/2" hem; French seams throughout


How do you jump-start your sewjo?






2 comments:

  1. Very cute! And you blogged those culottes cause it was that post that pushed me into trying them too!

    ReplyDelete