Tuesday, May 27, 2014

FINISHED: Colette Zinnia

I have concluded that Sarai just seems to know how to draft for the curvy feminine figure. I do not wear pencil skirts and it takes a special high-waisted skirt to flatter my lack of a highly defined waist. Enter Zinnia.

Here's why the Zinnia is so flattering:
1. The pleats flatten out any semblance of a tummy before they release.
2. The hemline is curved and therefore flares out giving the illusion of a defined waist.
3. The waistband is thin and does little to draw attention to a not-so-slender waist.

I had this cotton lawn for months (maybe closer to a year) when I decided to bite the bullet and use it. I vaguely remember cutting into it without really thinking too much about which fabric I was using. I chose version 2 with the pleats. I made a straight size 14.


The pleats do wonders to smoothing out a bit of a tummy. Amen to that. This is a very lightweight cotton so I have to be careful when choosing my undergarments for this one. It is incredibly comfortable in the heat. 


I interfaced the zipper area, and used a regular zipper. This pattern and fabric would have done well with French seams, but I stuck with serging. 

I've worn this three times for Me Made May 2014 and really should make more. I just recently made version 1 and will be blogging about it soon!

Be forewarned: you need to let this hang overnight before hemming as it will stretch. Now that I'm thinking about that, I may not have let this version hang before hemming it - oh well! 

Pattern: Colette Zinnia, version 2
Size: 14
Fabric: grey polka dot lawn from Denver Fabrics
Needle: Schmetz 70/10 Microtex Sharp
Changes: none!
Time: About 2 hours construction plus overnight to hang

No comments:

Post a Comment